TechBum is a blog about Software Engineering, Coding Interviews, and Personal Finance. Primarily authored by Kashyap Bhansali, an experienced Software Engineer who has worked on Enterprise and Consumer-facing products. Kashyap's primary technical interests include Distributed systems and Cloud infrastructure in his professional life, but he almost always ends up working across the stack including Front-end and Mobile app development outside work on personal projects.
What's in it for me?
- While pursuing my Master's degree, I started working as a part-time Computer Science Tutor, helping undergrad computer science with course content, programming assignments, and projects. It was the most satisfying job I ever had. Now that I am in a better place, I want to offer a helping hand to whoever seeks help.
- Being the least experienced person on the team, I have learned a lot from others that have contributed to my personal and professional growth. I'm willing to pay it forward by helping others grow in their tech career.
- I've been interviewing software engineers, and it is eye-opening to be on the other side of the table. This has helped me reflect better on the most common mistakes one can make, and I might have an insider perspective.
- Communication skills play a huge role in career growth. A polished software engineer is not only good at writing code but communicates well too. It takes practice to explain and present complex ideas in a simplified manner. No matter the medium: verbal or written. While writing will help me reach a larger audience, I want to get better at it.
Fun Fact: This is not my first blog. I discussed it in a recent post about why I decided to start blogging again. You might want to check it out.
- Build an identity outside work. As most of the workforce moves toward remote working, especially after the COVID-19 situation, networking won't be as easy as striking a break room conversation while brewing your coffee. I want to utilize this Blog to build a thriving community of like-minded people growing their careers in tech. Become a community member by activating your account here or use the form below to subscribe to the TechBum Newsletter.
Apart from this Blog and my full-time job as a Software Engineer, I try to work on some meaningful side projects in my free time. I have become more mindful of how I spend my time now. As a student, I spent a lot of time experimenting with new technologies, side projects, and some Freelancing. All of these have positively contributed to how I grew my career. Also, I have some meaningful content in my pipeline. So stay tuned!